[Grand Lodge]
[Calendar] [Search] [Resources] [History] [Links] [Sitemap]
H.T. Lamb tracing boards
Entered Apprentice symbols of the Craft.
Fellowcraft
King Solomon's Temple.
Master Mason emblems of mortality.
H. T. Lamb and Co.
Henry Thomas Lamb established his business in 1848 at 31 St. John Square, Clerkenwell, London, EC. In 1903 the business, styled as H.T. Lamb & Co., was transferred to William Isaac Stiffin, who had been manager for many years. Although William Isaac Stiffin and William Ernest Stiffin dissolved their partnership on 24 June 1919.1, the business continued, at least into the 1930s, at 5 St. John Square.2
Under Lamb, the business entered a series of marks with the London Assay Office, the first being 'H.T.L' incuse, without outline, on 28 March 1868. There then followed a series of similar marks, all being 'H.T.L' contained within oblong punches with clipped corners, on 11 October 1870, 8 October 1874, 3 May 1882, 24 June 1885, and 9 June 1892. On 24 October 1905, the year Lamb died, Stiffin entered the mark 'H.T.L & Co.' contained within an oblong punch.
A 1914 advertisment in Whitakers Red Book reads:
"Goldsmiths and medallists, manufacturers of masonic jewels, clothing and regalia. Specialities: collar jewels, collar chains, gauntlets, silver and silver-plated lace, ribbons, etc., aprons and sashes for all lodges; medals, badges, watches and chains, cups, etc. suitable for presentation; embroidery, heraldic and presentation work; medals, crosses and orders of chivalry in regulation and miniature sizes; mountings in gold, silver and other metals; enamelling, chasing, engraving, die sinking."
Although these three tracing boards3 all are marked "H.T. Lamb, Clerkenwell, London", no record is available that they designed or manufactured them.

1."NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned, William Isaac Stiffin and William Ernest Stiffin, carrying on business as Watchmakers and Masonic Jewel, Clothing and Regalia Manufacturers, at No. 31, St. John's square, Clerkenwell, London, under the style or firm of "H. T. LAMB & CO.," has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the twenty-fourth day of June, 1919. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said William Ernest Stiffin.—Dated this 10th day of June, 1919. WILLIAM ISAAC STIFFIN. WILLIAM ERNEST STIFFIN." The London Gazette, 1 July 1919, p. 275.
2.H. T. Lamb, Manufacturer of Masonic Jewels, Clothing & Regalia, Goldsmith & Medalist, 5 St. John's Square, Clerkenwell Road, London. Two Minutes Walk from Farringdon Street Station, Holborn Viaduct, Aldergate Street Station, Or Smithfield Meat Market...
3.From the holdings of Kamloops Lodge No. 10, Kamloops, BC. The lodge was constituted in 1886. The date of purchase of the tracing boards is unknown. Also see : ""History of the tracing board", Mark S. Dwor. Vancouver : Vancouver Grand Masonic Day, 1999 ; "Ars Quatuor Coronatorum. Vol. 64 (1953) p. 79. Transactions of Quatuor Coronati Lodge No. 2076: London.
TRACING BOARDS | SYMBOLISM INDEX | HISTORY OF THE TRACING BOARDS

ANTI-MASONRY | ESSAYS & PAPERS | GRAND LODGE OF BC AND YUKON | HOME | LINKS | SITEMAP
[Anti-masonry]

© 1871-2017 Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon A.F. & A.M. Updated: 2014/05/11
freemasonry.bcy.ca/symbolism/tracing_boards/kamloops/index.html