[Grand Lodge]
[Calendar] [Search] [Resources] [History] [Links] [Sitemap]
Lawrence and John Goodacre were members of Vancouver and Quadra Lodge No. 2. Long-serving Victoria alderman, Lawrence Goodacre was instrumental in landscaping parts of Beacon Hill Park, in which Goodacre Lake is named for him. Goodacre was a butcher who ran a shop at the corner of Government & Johnson Streets in downtown Victoria. The building is still there but in an altered form since a fire gutted it in the 1970s. Emily Carr's Book of Small has a short segment about her recollections of Goodacre's butcher shop

Well-known Citizen Had Active Share in Public Affairs
Was in Butchering Business here For Long Period of Years

Lawrence Goodacre, former alderman, and well known business man, passed away this morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. O.W. Pearson, 4176 Cartier Avenue, Vancouver.
His death was quite sudden. He had retired from business April 30, 1923, and had been living with Mrs. Pearson since that time.
Mr. Goodacre's removal from Victoria robbed the city of a well known philanthropist. His generosity to public affairs, and to private persons made him one of the best loved citizens of his generation here.
Mr. Goodacre was born in Nottingham, England, on October 8, 1843. His father, Samuel Goodacre, was a corn factor and miller. When he left school at the age of sixteen years, he was apprenticed to a butcher in Nottingham. In 1870 he came to British Columbia, and settled here. He worked six years as a journeyman, and then went into business in partnership with John Stafford, under the name Stafford & Goodacre. They opened the store at the corner of Government Street and Johnson Street, with which his name was so long associated. This continued until Mr. Stafford's death in 1882, when Mr. Goodacre formed a partnership with John Dooley, which continued for six years. In 1888 he took over complete control of the business. Later his sons joined him, the firm becoming Goodacre & Sons, and so continued until 1923.
In 1889 Mr. Goodacre was elected to the City Council, and during that year and the following year took a great interest in the extensive improvements carried out at Beacon Hill Park. It is from that cause that the ornamental lake which was formed at that time, took its name. Throughout his career he took the keenest interest in the park, and during the whole time he was in business he supplied meat for the animals there.
He was again in council in 1903, and was re-elected annually to 1906. He was also police commissioner for about three years. He acted as mayor of the city in the later part of 1905 during the absence of Senator Barnard, then mayor, who was away on a health tour.
Mr. Goodacre was for twenty-five years identified with the old volunteer fire department, and for many years took an interest in the development of the fire department.
Mr. Goodacre was a trustee of the B.C. Permanent Loan Company. He was also a trustee of the Van Anda Copper Company during its activities on Texada Island in the nineties.
Mr. Goodacre was a heavy shareholder in the early days of the B.C. Electric Railway, and also took an active part in the Victoria and Esquimalt Telephone Company, before its absorption in the B.C. Telephone Company about twenty-five years ago.
For many years Mr. Goodacre was a member of the Sons of England, and a charter member of the Navy League branch here.
Mr. Goodacre was a member of the Metropolitan Methodist Church. For many years the family residence on Pandora Avenue was a city landmark. He is survived by two sons and two daughters, Samuel W.S. Goodacre, and Lawrence Roy Goodacre, and two daughters, Mrs. O.W. Pearson and Mrs. F.S. Pope. Mrs Pope resides in Oakland, California. Mrs. Goodacre died about five years ago.
Victoria Daily Times, 4 February 1925, p. 1.

John Goodacre
The funeral of the late John Goodacre, whose death occurred on May 22, at his home, 136 St. Andrews Street, will take place Monday from the Thomson Chapel at 2.30. Rev. Mr. Osborn, of the Methodist Church, will officiate. Interment at Ross Bay Cemetery.
Victoria Daily Times, 26 May 1917, page 10.

Transcribed by Mark Anderson, 2008.


© 1871-2021 Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon A.F. & A.M. Updated: 2009/01/05